You get lifetime access to ebooks you purchase through oreilly.com. Whenever possible we provide them to you in several DRM-free file formats — PDF, ePub, Kindle-compatible .mobi, and DAISY — that you can use on the devices of your choice. Our ebooks are enhanced with color images, even when the print version is black and white. They are fully searchable, and work with cut-and-paste and print tools (see more on cutting and pasting, and on printing, in the Usage section below). We also alert you when we've updated your ebooks with corrections and additions.
On Your Device
- Laptop or desktop computer — Get either the ePub or PDF.
- iPad — Download the ePub or the PDF and read it on your iPad.
- iPhone, iPod touch — Grab the ePub or PDF and read it in iBooks or the reader of your choice.
- Kindle — Get the Mobi file and load it onto your Kindle.
- Android — Read the .apk or ePub on your favorite reader, or download the ePub directly to your device.
- Nook — The ePub and PDF formats work well on this reader.
- Sony Reader — ePubs work well on your Sony Reader.
- Windows Phone — Read the ePub, Mobi, or PDF on the ebook reader of your choice.
Digital Rights Management
All our ebooks are DRM-free.
Lending: If you buy an O'Reilly ebook from oreilly.com, you may lend it to another person, provided that you do not retain any copies of the book after you lend it. This is the same as the situation when you lend a used print copy—when you lend the copy, you deliver it to the buyer and no longer have a copy in your library. If you have bought a hard copy/ebook bundle, you may of course retain the hard copy, if you lend the ebook.
Resale: If you buy an O'Reilly ebook, when you are done with it you may resell it, provided that you do not retain any copies of the book after you sell it. This is the same as the situation when you sell a used print copy—when you sell the copy, you deliver it to the buyer and no longer have a copy in your library. If you have bought a hard copy/ebook bundle, you may of course retain the hard copy, if you sell the ebook.
Lifetime Access: By the way, because the lifetime access is a special benefit available only to those who purchase ebooks directly from us, the lifetime access benefit is not transferable to the recipient of your used ebook. This means that although lending and resale is permitted as noted above, the lifetime access benefits do not transfer to anyone to whom you lend or resell an ebook that you puchased directly from us.
Copyright: Copyright laws in the United States and other countries apply to our ebooks, just as they apply to copies of books that we publish in print formats. Among other things, this means that your use of cut-and-paste tools, and print tools, is subject to the limitations of the applicable copyright laws, and any applicable statutory copyright exceptions, such as fair use in the United States, and fair dealing in the United Kingdom.
When you purchase an ebook, you get free updates to reflect published changes and corrections to the edition you own.
Syncing with Your Dropbox Account
You can automatically copy all your ebooks to your Dropbox account. Just sign in to Your Account, click Account Info in the nav, and authorize syncing with Dropbox. Learn more.
You can download ebooks from Your Account at https://members.oreilly.com/account/emedia. On that page, below each ebook's title, you'll see buttons for available formats (DAISY, ePub, Mobi, and PDF). You can download as many formats as you want, as many times as you want, and to all your devices.
- PDF — The PDF format is a widely supported standard, and is a faithful representation of the printed book. Whenever possible, our PDFs also include navigation bookmarks and live hyperlinks.
- ePub — One way to describe ePub is "mp3 for books." Instead of each Ebook software and device maker using their own format, the ePub standard is meant to give readers, publishers, and device makers a single format for Ebooks — one that includes many of the same features we're all familiar with on the web, like reflowable text and hyperlinking.
- Mobi — It's hard to dispute that Amazon's Kindle has sparked renewed interest in Ebooks, and we want to make sure oreilly.com customers with Kindles can read our Ebooks. The Kindle cannot currently read ePub files directly (though we hope that will change), so the Ebook bundle includes the Mobi file format, which can be read on the Kindle.
- DAISY — The DAISY Talking Book Format (DTB) provides access to print books for individuals who are blind, visually-impaired, or print disabled. DAISY is used by a variety of hardware and software reading systems.
- Android .apk — Ideal for your Android device.
If you have a question or a comment about our Ebooks, please send feedback to email@example.com or through Get Satisfaction.