Design Patterns in Java LiveLessons is a clear, concise introduction to one of the most important concepts in software engineering–design patterns. It introduces patterns both conceptually and through the application of many classic “Gang of Four” design patterns to the development of a case study application written in Java.
Douglas C. Schmidt, Professor of Computer Science at Vanderbilt University’s School of Engineering, provides students and professional programmers with 4+ hours of example and case study based video learning on the concepts and application of design patterns. Design Patterns in Java LiveLessons describes how to master the complexity of developing software by learning and applying object-oriented patterns and frameworks. It centers on a case study that showcases pattern- and object-oriented design and programming techniques using Java. This case study will help you evaluate the limitations of alternative software development methods (such as algorithm decomposition) and demonstrate by example how patterns and object-orientation help to alleviate such limitations. More than a dozen patterns from the book Design Patterns: Elements of Reusable Object-Oriented Software (the so-called “Gang of Four”' book) are applied in the case study.
Visit www.dre.vanderbilt.edu/~schmidt/LiveLessons/ for additional content and commentary on this LiveLesson.
What You Will Learn
- How to recognize the inherent and accidental complexities involved with developing object-oriented software.
- How pattern-oriented software architecture techniques can and cannot help to alleviate this complexity.
- How to apply key pattern-oriented software architecture techniques to develop reusable object-oriented software infrastructure and apps.
- How to apply Java programming language features and libraries to develop reusable and robust object-oriented software.
- Where to find additional sources of information on how to successfully apply pattern-oriented software architecture techniques to object-oriented software.
Who Should Take This Course
- Developers looking for a practical introduction to developing pattern-oriented software with Java.
- Basic understanding of object-oriented programming and development
- Familiarity with the Java programming language