With Early Release ebooks, you get books in their earliest form—the author's raw and unedited content as he or she writes—so you can take advantage of these technologies long before the official release of these titles. You'll also receive updates when significant changes are made, new chapters as they're written, and the final ebook bundle.
As a web designer, you have tough choices to make when it comes to weighing aesthetics and performance. Content, layout, images, and interactivity each have an enormous impact on page load time and the end user experience.
This practical book helps you approach a new project or redesign with page speed in mind, and shows you how to test and benchmark your design choices' impact on performance. You’ll also learn how to create semantic HTML and CSS that are easily repurposed and edited later, saving not just page load time but also your own time during development.
Written by Etsy's performance engineering manager, this book covers:
- Why designing for performance is imperative
- The basics of page speed: requests and how browsers render content
- Optimizing images, HTML and CSS for performance
- Implementing responsive web design with an eye on page speed
- Tools for measuring and iterating on your design choices and their performance
If you have Adobe Photoshop experience and basic HTML and CSS skills, this book will help you learn how to design for performance.