Ready to launch your dream app on Android? In this video course, Java consultant Ken Kousen walks you through the Android Studio wizard for creating new applications. You’ll learn the basics in developing for Android devices, and where to find the tools and technologies you need. The Android Developer website offers dashboards, version numbers, and market distributions. You’ll also find design guidelines, a review of available tutorials, and API docs.
With this video, you’ll learn how to:
- Use the basic XML layout and Activity classes generated by Android Studio
- Work with the default multi-project Gradle build files
- Create and configure an emulator, using the AVD Manager
- Increase functionality by changing themes and adding widgets
- Understand Android’s activity lifecycle by charting callback methods associated with activities
- Learn how to save and restore state variables in activities
- Add alternative layouts by using qualifiers on the "res" directory
- Learn about internal and external storage for managing persistent data
- Use the SQLite database available to every Android application
- Access a RESTful Web Service to deal with asynchronous tasks
Ken Kousen, president of Kousen IT, Inc., is a technical trainer, mentor, and consultant in all areas related to Java, specializing in Android, Spring, Hibernate/JPA, Groovy, Grails, and Gradle. He is the author of Making Java Groovy (Manning) and the O’Reilly video courses: Groovy Programming Fundamentals, Practical Groovy Programming, and Mastering Groovy Programming.