Move over native apps. New progressive web apps have capabilities that will soon make you obsolete. With this hands-on guide, web developers and business execs will learn how—and why—to develop web apps that take advantage of features that have so far been exclusive to native apps. Features that include fast load times, push notifications, offline access, homescreen shortcuts, and an entirely app-like experience.
By leveraging the latest browser APIs, progressive web apps combine all of the benefits of the native app, while avoiding their issues. Throughout the book, author Tal Ater shows you how to improve a simple website for the fictional Gotham Imperial Hotel into a modern progressive web app. Plus:
- Understand how service workers function and use them to provide an app-like experience
- Create sites that launch in an instant, regardless of a user’s internet connection
- Use service workers to deliver offline availability during service disruptions
- Create full-screen web apps that launch from the homescreen just like native apps
- Re-engage users with push notifications, even days after they have left the site