Facebook, Netflix, Airbnb, LinkedIn, and Uber. These are just a few of the leading companies who use Presto to query SQL on Hadoop at big data scale. This course provides an introduction to Presto. You'll learn about the concepts and architecture behind Presto, how to install and configure Presto for different requirements (single node, multi-node, with Yarn, without Yarn, etc.), and how to administer Presto, including tuning, performance, and diagnosis.
It also covers how to use JDBC/ODBC drivers to connect applications and tools to Presto, how Presto security works, and how you can become active in the PrestoDB community. Course prerequisites include: A strong understanding of Hadoop (including HDFS, Hive, YARN, Ambari), Linux, AWS, and SQL. A basic understanding of Kerberos, LDAP, CPU/Memory/Disk tradeoffs, JDBC, ODBC, and Tableau, as well as light experience with Git, Java, Python, Maven, and Intellij.
- Gain practical hands-on experience working with the Presto SQL query engine
- Explore Presto's architecture, history, and use cases
- Learn to install and configure Presto for various deployments (multi-node, with Yarn, etc.)
- Discover how to query various data sources such as Hive, S3, and PostgreSQL
- Learn how to configure Presto security
- Understand how to use applications and BI tools to connect to Presto
- Pick up valuable experience managing Presto clusters
Matt Fuller leads the Presto engineering team at Teradata, which is the second largest contributor to Presto next to Facebook. Matt has worked in database architecture and development for nine years. In addition to Teradata, he's worked at Hadapt, and Vertica Systems. He earned a Masters in Computer Science from Brown University and is the holder of one U.S. Patent.