Roughly half of all software developers use vi/Vim on a regular basis, but most of those who do still use only a tiny fraction of the editor's full feature set. This video tutorial explores two dozen effective ways you can immediately improve your Vim environment, including recently added features and many powerful plugins and tools.
In just three hours, you'll learn about a wide range of Vim's other features, discover numerous configuration options that can make your editing more efficient and productive, and explore several Vim plugins that can instantly make your editing experience vastly better too. The tutorial's sections include:
- Mastering Vim's help system
- Learning to move more efficiently
- Manipulating text faster and more flexibly
- Making use of text objects
- Activating guides to help your layout
- Searching more effectively and with less effort
- Using and configuring Vim's advanced undo facilities
- Autocompleting just about anything
- Editing visually, instead of syntactically
- Focusing on details by folding text
Vim is a V12 supercar, but most Vim users drive it like they're stuck in first gear. This tutorial will show you how to edit faster, more smoothly, and with much less grind.
A prominent contributor to the Open Source community, Damian Conway is an internationally renowned speaker, author, and trainer.