Ruby on Rails is the revolutionary online programming tool thatmakes creating functional e-commerce web sites faster and easierthan ever. With the intuitive, straightforward nature of Ruby andthe development platform provided by Rails, you can put togetherfull-fledged web applications quickly, even if you're new to webprogramming.
You will find a thorough introduction to both Ruby and Rails inthis book. You'll get the easy instructions for acquiring andinstalling both; understand the nature of conditionals, loops,methods, and blocks; and become familiar with Ruby's classes andobjects. You'll learn to build Rails applications, connect todatabases, perform necessary testing, and put the whole thingtogether to create real-world applications such as shopping cartsand online catalogs—apps you can actually use right away.
What you will learn from this book
- How to install and use Ruby and Rails
- Object-oriented programming with Ruby
- Rails fundamentals and how to create basic onlineapplications
- How to work with HTML controls, use models in Railsapplications, and work with sessions
- Details on working with databases and creating, editing, anddeleting database records
- Methods for handling cookies and filters and for cachingpages
- How to connect Rails with Ajax
Who this book is for
This book is for anyone who wants to develop online applicationsusing Ruby and Rails. A basic understanding of programming ishelpful; some knowledge of HTML is necessary.
Wrox Beginning guides
are crafted to make learningprogramming languages and technologies easier than you think,providing a structured, tutorial format that will guide you throughall the techniques involved.