Lua offers a wide range of features that you can utilize to supportand enhance your applications. With this book as your guide, you'llgain a thorough understanding of all aspects of programming withthis powerful language. It will walk you through the basics,covering everything from installing Lua on your system todeveloping games and web sites.
Experts Jung and Brown first present the fundamentals ofprogramming and explain standard Lua functions. They then show youhow to take advantage of all of the free Lua community resourcesthat are available. Complete code samples are integrated throughoutthe chapters to clearly demonstrate how to apply the information.Diagrams are also included to highlight important Lua features suchas stacks, hash tables, garbage collection, and function closures.All of this will help you to quickly write your own effectiveprograms.
What you will learn from this book
- Ways to extend Lua's operators with metamethods
- Methods on how to use tables, strings, and modules
- How to handle events naturally with coroutines
- Techniques for managing information with databases
- Tips for handling and avoiding programming errors
- Ways to create your own innovative games
- How to enhance application development using packagescontributed by the Lua community
- Steps for presenting dynamic information on your web site
Who this book is for
This book is for beginning programmers, game developers, and website developers who are interested in a simple yet powerfulintroduction to programming.
Wrox Beginning guides are crafted to make learningprogramming languages and technologies easier than you think,providing a structured, tutorial format that will guide you throughall the techniques involved.