Master Windows Server 2008 networking from the ground up
Leading Windows authority and author of the bestselling Mastering Windows Server 2003, Mark Minasi, focuses on Windows Server 2008 in three new books that teach you everything you need to know to plan, install, maintain, and troubleshoot networks based on Windows Server 2008. This first book, Mastering Windows Server 2008 Networking Foundations, transforms the network user into a hands-on network administrator. Get a thorough grounding in basic networking concepts as well as complete instruction in Windows Server 2008 installation and management. Master the techniques in this book and you'll have the foundation for two other books from Minasi, each targeting specific needs of Windows Server administrators: Mastering Windows Server 2008 Essential Technologies and Mastering Windows Server 2008 Enterprise Technologies.
- Understanding networks and their component hardware, software, and protocols
- Setting up and deploying security from day one for your networks
- Installing Windows Server 2008 and configuring a host of options and choices
- Mastering the GUI, the command line, the Registry, and Group Policy
- Using the Microsoft Management Console to create your own "cockpit"
- Deciphering Windows storage concepts and TCP/IP and IPv4 networking basics
- Learning DNS top-to-bottom so your Active Directory can stay active
- Laying the groundwork for Directory Services, Active Directory, and the day-to-day administration of Windows Server 2008
Note from the Author to owners of previous Mastering Windows Server books
This book aims to provide new Windows network administrators the basics that they need to understand Active Directory and other concepts, and if you've read one of my earlier Mastering Windows Server books then you may want to start out with the second book, Essential Technologies – but look through the Table of Contents and decide for yourself.