A step-by-step guide on how to use Python for CGI scripting, GUI development, network programming, and much more!
Organizations such as NASA, Hewlett-Packard, and Xerox have already discovered the power that Python has to offer. This multipurpose development language can be used on virtually every platform, from Windows and Linux to OS/2 and Amiga. With its unique task-oriented approach, this book explores the language basics and then describes how to quickly begin using it for development work. Rashi Gupta first explains why Python is arguably the most sophisticated of the popular scripting languages and why its popularity continues to grow. She uncovers all of Python's unique features, detailing its built-in support for critical development steps, including data structures, dynamic typing, and dynamic building. Gupta then discusses how to use Python in lieu of Java or C++ when developing cross-platform applications. All in all, she'll help you gain the skills necessary to begin programming in Python.
With numerous real-world examples and expert advice,this book:
* Provides a concise and task-oriented introduction to Python
* Helps you evaluate the suitability of Python for your project
* Is a practical introduction to Python's syntax and fundamental strengths
* Includes numerous working scripts, with information on how to adapt and extend them to meet individual needs
The companion Web site contains:
* All source code from the book
* Frequently asked questions, quizzes, and best practices
* Links to other resource sites
Wiley Computer Publishing
Timely. Practical. Reliable.
Visit our Web site at www.wiley.com/compbooks/
Visit the companion Web site at www.wiley.com/compbooks/makinguse