Prepare for a whole new world of added value through the effective application of Third Generation (3G) wireless technology
Written for hardware and software engineers, this hands-on guide shows you how to integrate handheld devices and cell phones with wireless network hardware and software. Geoff Varrall and Roger Belcher arm you with an in-depth understanding of the nuts and bolts of cellular handset and network hardware and software design, how handset hardware and software is evolving, and the role the technology plays in shaping offered traffic and building traffic value.
The authors take you through present and future network components, detail their strengths and weaknesses, explore the key features of available network software and the implications of managing audio, image, video, and application streaming.
- Show how to achieve consistent power efficient performance over the radio physical and the application layers
- Discuss how to integrate cell phone or PDA/portable PC products with present and future wireless network hardware and software
- Address topics such as quality of service (QoS) and service level agreements (SLAs) from a wireless perspective
- Look at software configurability and future handset hardware and software trends
- Describe the enabling technologies behind quality-based billing methodologies