Learn how to build and manage enterprise-level MySQL applications
With more than three million users, MySQL is the most popularopen source database server in the world. In addition to running onLinux, Windows, Macintosh, FreeBSD, and several flavors of UNIX,MySQL provides an extremely fast, reliable, and inexpensivealternative to such commercial databases as Oracle, DB2, andInformix. Advantages such as those have convinced corporations toadopt MySQL to replace their more expensive database servers.
Written by Alexander Pachev, one of the lead programmers ofMySQL, MySQL Enterprise Solutions is the first book to providecorporate users with both advice for adopting MySQL and a completeguide to building enterprise-level database applications withMySQL. Pachev covers all of the major programming languages usedwith MySQL, each illustrated with code examples. In addition, heincludes case studies that document how enterprise customers aresuccessfully using MySQL. This informative guide also covers suchtopics as:
- The pros and cons of a company adopting MySQL
- How to select the best platform for MySQL
- Installing, testing, and configuring the MySQL server
- Optimizing MySQL server performance
- Migrating to MySQL from other commercial databases
- Security, access control, and backup
- Practical guidance on trouble-shooting in a businessenvironment
The companion Web site includes all of the code for thedatabases included in this book.
“…a good read for anyone considering a serious use for MySQL…”(Linux Format, August 2003)