"Building networks with high performance demanded by today's applications requires a complete understanding of the basic principles and latest techniques. This book is the definitive guide to both."-Lyman Chapin
High-speed networking is the essential enabler of modern sophisticated distributed computing applications. This book provides the first comprehensive and authoritative professional reference for high-speed network architecture and design. Written by recognized experts in the field, this book delivers detailed practical guidance on the principles and practices underlying successful high-speed networking.
Using cutting-edge examples to illustrate issues of performance, hardware, standards, and applications, the authors walk you step-by-step through the entire process of delivering high bandwidth and low latency to distributed networked applications. You'll learn how to balance cost and performance, design strategically for mission-critical needs, and prepare for emerging technologies and trends.
You can also use this book as a springboard to explore the extensive research literature. Among the essential topics discussed, you'll find:
* High-speed architecture and topology and how to achieve large scale in networks
* Network control and signaling, including traffic management and congestion control
* Network subsystems, including routers, switches, and end systems
* Descriptions of transport protocols and end-to-end communications
* High-performance applications and how they interact with underlying protocols and the network