Create more powerful, flexible applications using a new XML-based standard!
XMI (XML Metadata Interchange) is an advance in XML technology that enables you to represent objects in XML, exchange those objects with other software tools, and exploit modeling technology in your XML applications. Mastering XMI includes examples written in Java that demonstrate practical techniques for using XMI with both XML and UML. Also included is a discussion of how IBM is using XMI in its latest software development tools.
The authors cover the basics first, detailing the essential XML and UML concepts that you need to know to understand XMI. In addition to XMI fundamentals, they explain how XMI works with the Model Driven Architecture (MDA), a new software development approach.
After learning how XMI works, you will then learn how to:
* Use XMI to express your object-oriented software models in XML
* Generate Java implementation classes from your models using the XMI Framework
* Create and read XMI documents in Java with standard XML APIs (DOM and SAX) and the XMI Framework
* Reverse engineer models from XML documents, DTDs, and schemas
The CD-ROM includes:
* The XMI Framework
* IBM(r) XML4J XML Parser
* A trial version of IBM(r) WebSphere(r) Studio Application Developer
* Java programs covered in the book
The companion Web site includes tips and updates for the XMI Framework and the Java examples in the book.
Wiley Computer Publishing. Timely. Practical. Reliable.
Visit our Web site at www.wiley.com/compbooks/
Visit the companion Web site at www.wiley.com/compbooks/grose/ “…the authors have done an excellent job…”(Computer Bulletin, March 2003)