"Clearly and fully describes the ever more important world ofpolicy-based networking."
With its ability to speed up network operations and providecritical business services, policy-based networking (PBN) is fastbecoming the solution of choice for many of todays mostvexing network management problems. Written by industry analystDave Kosiur, this book offers a comprehensive overview of all theconcepts, protocols, and systems youll need to understandbefore you can take advantage of this important new model ofnetwork management.
With the help of real-world case studies from both ISPs andenterprise networks, Kosiur clearly explains how policy networkingties together diverse interfaces and devices, how you can use it tooffer a variety of user-demanded services, and how to go aboutdeciding whether its right for your organization. With thisbook, youll learn to:
- Choose the right PBN architecture for your specific needs
- Create and manage policies
- Use directories and relational databases to store policies
- Deploy policy decision points (PDPs) and policy enforcementpoints (PEPs)
- Monitor network behavior and services
- Take advantage of such protocols as COPS, LDAP, SNMP, andCORBA
- Use Directory Enabled Networking (DEN) in PBN
- Set up Quality of Service (QoS), network security services, andother emerging services
Networking Council Books put technology into perspective fordecision-makers who need an implementation strategy, a vendor andoutsourcing strategy, and a product and design strategy. The seriesadvisors are three of the most influential leaders of thenetworking community:
LYMAN CHAPINChief Scientist at BBN Technologies, CTOfor GTE Technology Organization, and founding trustee of theInternet Society
SCOTT BRADNERSenior Consultant for HarvardUniversity, Transport Area Director IETF, trustee of the InternetSociety, and ISOC VP of Standards
VINTON CERFSenior Vice President for InternetArchitecture and Technology at MCI WorldCom, founding President ofthe Internet Society, and co-inventor of TCP/IP