Learn how to work smart and avoid common pitfalls of managing Solaris systems
The Solaris operating system is used by hundreds of thousands of companies worldwide to run everything from Web services to back-end financial systems. The Solaris 9 release improves manageability; however, it also increases the complexity of the operating environment and the amount of skill needed to engineer and implement quality, long-lasting solutions.
Written by two experts, this book is packed with honest coverage of Solaris's strengths and weaknesses. The authors tackle tough issues that experienced Solaris system administrators face on a daily basis, such as how to build highly available solutions and how to manage Solaris in a heterogeneous environment. Their practical guidance on how to work smarter and avoid the pitfalls of managing Solaris–whether you've upgraded to version 9 or are still using an earlier version–is invaluable.
The authors show how to:
- Manage system performance
- Administer the Sun Fire line of servers and the older E10K
- Install, configure, and patch Solaris
- Maintain high availability
- Automate system administration functions
- Ensure system security
On the companion Web site you'll also find:
- The latest version of scripts found in the book
- Links to the best Solaris resources on the Web