All of the tools you'll need to ensure that your network and its applications are performing properly for your environment
As a network administrator, you are the first person customers come to whenever there are performance issues with the network. You have to keep the customers satisfied, but the complaints don't make your job any easier. However, once you're armed with the techniques and options presented in this hands-on book, you'll be able to identify and fix network problems before your customers even notice! Troubleshooting expert Richard Blum takes you through some of the basic elements that affect network performance and then supplies you with information about the Open Source tools used for monitoring the network to uncover any of these problems.
In addition, he shows you how to use application performance tools to analyze how network applications behave in different environments and determine potential conflicts. All of the tools discussed are freely available, eliminating the need to purchase costly new hardware and software testing packages. In addition, Blum provides you with clear instructions on how to install and properly use each one.
With this complete toolkit, you'll discover how to keep your network running at peak performance. You'll gain the necessary skills to:
- Determine the cause of network performance issues in the production network
- Uncover any bottlenecks in network traffic
- Install, configure, and use various Open Source tools, including Netperf, dbs, and ntop
- Monitor network performance using select programs
- Use emulators and simulators to see how network applications will perform