An updated version of the leading tutorial and reference on the MDX query language
Now in its second edition, this invaluable reference explains why MDX (MulitDimensional eXpressions) is the most widely accepted software used for dimensional application. You'll learn how to build effective multidimensional data warehouses and you'll gain the necessary skills to access and analyze data to make better business decisions.
After a brief overview of the syntax and semantics of the MDX language, the authors move directly to the tutorial, providing practical examples of MDX in use. With more than 60 percent revised and updated content, this new edition addresses the increased number of analytical applications that use MDX. The authors cover both the changes in the MDX language itself as well as major changes in its implementation with the latest software releases of Microsoft SQL Server Analysis Services 2005 and Hyperion Essbase.
This unrivaled book includes:
- The range of possibilities specific to Microsoft and Hyperion
- Techniques and tricks of combining the different functions of MDX to solve a variety of problems
- Capabilities of SQL Server 2005 Analysis Services, and how its relationship with MDX has changed from the prior version
- The standard syntax of MDX that handles the constructs and capabilities of numerous servers
- Detailed reference appendices for MDX operators, functions, and related connection settings
The companion Web site includes a collection of sample databases and code for use in Analysis Services and Essbase, and an MDX query interface for Essbase.