SMS 2003 Administrator's Reference
As the core technology essential to IT departments for managingdesktop hardware and software in a Windows environment, SystemsManagement Server (SMS) 2003 is the hot Microsoft tool of choicefor applying security patches, installing applications, andapplying updates. This book discusses the steps you need to take toensure that SMS 2003 is administered successfully to providepowerful management across an enterprise.
While the main focus is on SMS 2003 with Service Pack 1, authorand Microsoft MVP Ron Crumbaker also covers SP2 while guiding youthrough the inner workings of SMS 2003 to help you gain control ofall the aspects of systems management. Each chapter uses real-worldexamples and covers an SMS feature and an administrative task,ultimately showing you how you can use SMS 2003 to successfullyadminister an SMS 2003 environment.
You'll start working with SMS 2003 and this book by setting upyour site hierarchy. From there you'll move on to managing SMSroles and security. You'll do extensive work with clients,discovering and inventorying resources and metering software use.Along with seeing the power of collections and packages, you'lllearn to work with SMS reports to give you a structures view ofyour SMS data and to interpret SMS messages to keep the systemrunning smoothly. The book wraps up by introducing some of thethird-party extensions you can add to SMS to solve specificadditional needs and gives you the power of automating repetitiveSMS functions with scripts.
What you will learn from this book
- How to secure SMS and maintain secure SMS infrastructure,accounts, and communication
- Using the SMS 2003 discovery methods to detect and inventoryinformation across your networks
- Improving the process of delivering Windows and MicrosoftOffice updates with the Inventory Tool for Microsoft Updates(ITMU)
- Ways to configure policies to enable or disable "agents" onassigned SMS 2003 clients
- What an SMS software package is and how to create, use, anddistribute packages to update software on clients
- How to best use third-party solutions to extend SMSfunctionality
- Techniques for configuring software metering to track clientprogram usage to make the most of your software budget
- Best troubleshooting practices starting with preventingproblems and understanding SMS status messages
- How to provide console and web-based reporting with dashboardsand custom reports for hardware, software, sites, users, andmore
Who this book is for
This book is for the SMS administrator who needs to manage theever-increasing demands for operation excellence at the desktop andserver level.
Wrox Administrator's Reference guides are planned andwritten by working technologists to meet the real-world needs of ITprofessionals. Focused and relevant, they address the issuestechnology professionals face every day. They provide examples,practical solutions, and expert education in new technologies, alldesigned to help IT professionals do a better job.