This is the ultimate guide to Live Communications Server (LCS), thenewest core server from Microsoft. You'll begin with anintroduction to this technology and the suite of UnifiedCommunications products offered by Microsoft, such as Live Meeting2005, Communicator 2005, and LCS 2005 SP1. The book continues tocover details of the technical configuration of LCS 2005 SP1 andCommunicator 2005.
Notes from the field, tips for troubleshooting, frequently askedquestions, recommendations for additional resources, and templatesfor test plans and design guides all combine to prepare you fordeploying this technology within your own infrastructure and usingit to successfully build real-time collaboration, communications,and presence solutions.
What you will learn from this book
- How Microsoft Unified Communications products enable presence,Instant Messaging, and integrated communication tools withinMicrosoft Office
- Techniques for deploying secure Instant Messaging for bothinternal and remote access
- How to prepare your infrastructure to deploy LCS 2005 SP1
- Ways to integrate with VoIP and other telephone systems
- How to configure message routes and ports
- How the programming API allows you to create web-based ordesktop applications for LCS
- Understanding deployment timeframes and migration strategy whendeploying LCS 2005 SP1
Who this book is for
This book is for those who want to enable Instant Messaging andunified communications or those who require additional technicalinformation regarding LCS 2005 SP1. A working knowledge of aMicrosoft Windows Server environment and a general understanding ofActive Directory are recommended.
Wrox Professional guides are planned and written byworking programmers to meet the real-world needs of programmers,developers, and IT professionals. Focused and relevant, theyaddress the issues technology professionals face every day. Theyprovide examples, practical solutions, and expert education in newtechnologies, all designed to help programmers do a better job.