This is the ultimate guide to Live Communications Server (LCS), the newest core server from Microsoft. You'll begin with an introduction to this technology and the suite of Unified Communications products offered by Microsoft, such as Live Meeting 2005, Communicator 2005, and LCS 2005 SP1. The book continues to cover details of the technical configuration of LCS 2005 SP1 and Communicator 2005.
Notes from the field, tips for troubleshooting, frequently asked questions, recommendations for additional resources, and templates for test plans and design guides all combine to prepare you for deploying this technology within your own infrastructure and using it to successfully build real-time collaboration, communications, and presence solutions.
What you will learn from this book
- How Microsoft Unified Communications products enable presence, Instant Messaging, and integrated communication tools within Microsoft Office
- Techniques for deploying secure Instant Messaging for both internal and remote access
- How to prepare your infrastructure to deploy LCS 2005 SP1
- Ways to integrate with VoIP and other telephone systems
- How to configure message routes and ports
- How the programming API allows you to create web-based or desktop applications for LCS
- Understanding deployment timeframes and migration strategy when deploying LCS 2005 SP1
Who this book is for
This book is for those who want to enable Instant Messaging and unified communications or those who require additional technical information regarding LCS 2005 SP1. A working knowledge of a Microsoft Windows Server environment and a general understanding of Active Directory are recommended.
Wrox Professional guides are planned and written by working programmers to meet the real-world needs of programmers, developers, and IT professionals. Focused and relevant, they address the issues technology professionals face every day. They provide examples, practical solutions, and expert education in new technologies, all designed to help programmers do a better job.