The first book to offer in-depth coverage of star schemaaggregate tables
Dubbed by Ralph Kimball as the most effective technique formaximizing star schema performance, dimensional aggregates are apowerful and efficient tool that can accelerate data warehousequeries more dramatically than any other technology. After youensure that a database is properly designed, configured, and tuned,any measures you take to address data warehouse performance shouldbegin with aggregates.
Yet, many businesses ignore aggregates, instead turning tospecialized, proprietary hardware and software products to solveperformance problems. This book fills the knowledge gap that hasled businesses on this expensive and risky path.
Data warehouse expert Chris Adamson shows how a well-planned setof aggregates can have an extraordinary effect on the overallthroughput of your data warehouse. Regardless of your role orcurrent level of star schema expertise, the best practices in thisbook will help you achieve astounding performance increases, whileavoiding common pitfalls.
From star schema basics through advanced aggregation techniques,this book covers the impact of aggregate tables on the entire datawarehouse lifecycle. After establishing a few fundamentals,including the star schema approach to data warehouse design,chapters are dedicated to major phases of the data warehouselifecycle. Topics include:
- Fundamental principles of aggregate schema design
- How to use aggregates in a production environment, with orwithout an aggregate navigator
- Integration of aggregate processing into the ETL process
- Standard tasks and deliverables for incorporating aggregatesinto data warehouse development projects
- How to organize and execute a project that adds aggregatecapability to an existing star schema
- The impact of advanced schema design techniques such as bridgetables, heterogeneous stars, or snapshot models on aggregation
- Special considerations when implementing dimensional aggregatesusing Oracle's materialized views or IBM's materialized querytables
- How aggregates can add value in other areas, including databasesecurity and the archive strategy
Wiley Technology Publishing Timely. Practical.Reliable.
Visit our Web site at www.wiley.com/compbooks/