Visual Studio 2005 Tools for Office (VSTO) supports Word,Excel®, and Outlook® and allows developers to buildrobust Office applications in both the C# and VB languages. Thispractical guide shows you how to leverage the power of VSTO towrite enterprise software targeting Office 2003. Even if you're notentirely familiar with VSTO, you'll find this book to be anindispensable resource to building your knowledge of this newtechnology.
Beginning chapters review basic concepts and serve as buildingblocks upon which the remaining chapters are built. Workingexamples provide solutions to common programming requirement issuesso that even if you are a seasoned developer, you'll still findmany useful techniques and strategies to solving enterprise-levelsoftware problems from an Office perspective using VSTO.
What you will learn from this book
- Maximizing Office 2003's power and flexibility in enterprisesoftware
- Automating Office objects from Visual Studio and WindowsConsole applications
- Extracting functionality and performance from Word andExcel
- Creating exciting Excel charts and powerful PivotTable®reports
- Avoiding common pitfalls while porting VBA code to VSTO as wellas work-arounds to technical limitations in the Office API
Who this book is for
This book is for developers who are planning to adopt VSTO as anenterprise solution. A familiarity with Object Oriented concepts isrequired. An understanding of Visual Studio .NET is recommended,but not required. Recent .NET adopters with a VBA background willfind this book especially useful.
Wrox Professional guides are planned and written by workingprogrammers to meet the real-world needs of programmers,developers, and IT professionals. Focused and relevant, theyaddress the issues technology professionals face every day. Theyprovide examples, practical solutions, and expert education in newtechnologies, all designed to help programmers do a better job.