IPv6, the next generation Internet Protocol, has been in the works since the early 90s when the rapid growth of the Internet threatened to exhaust existing IP addresses. Drawing on 20 years--operational experience with the existing protocol (IPv4), the new protocol offers scalability, increased security features, real-time traffic support, and auto-configuration so that even a novice user can connect a machine to the Internet. But what does this mean for IT professionals? Having learned all the strengths and weaknesses of the old protocol, will you need to start from scratch with the new?
IPv6 Essentials provides a succinct, in-depth tour of all the new features and functions in IPv6, guiding you through everything you?ll need to know to get started, including how to configure IPv6 on hosts and routers, and which applications currently support IPv6. Aimed at system and network administrators, engineers, network designers, and IT managers, this book will help you plan for, design, and integrate IPv6 into your current IPv4 infrastructure.
Beginning with a short history of IPv6, author Silvia Hagen provides an overview of the new functionality and describes some live test and production networks that are using the new protocol. Hagen then shares exhaustive discussions of the new IPv6 header format and Extension Headers, IPv6 address format, and IPv6 message format. IPv6 Essentials also covers:
- Security in IPv6: concepts, requirements, and solutions. Includes the IPSEC framework and security elements available for authentication and encryption
- Quality of Service: covers the types of QoS in IPv6 and how they can be implemented
- Networking: Layer 2 support for IPv6 with sample network designs that show how to integrate IPv6 into your network without interruption of IPv4 services
- Routing protocols and upper layer protocols
- Getting started on different operating systems: Sun Solaris, Linux, Windows 2000 and Windows XP
Whether you're ready to start implementing IPv6 today or are planning your strategy for the future, IPv6 Essentials will provide the solid foundation you need to get started.