Table of Contents
THE CONTEXT FOR ESA
Chapter ONE ESA in the World of Information Technology
- Who is this book for?
- Why so many questions?
- What forces created ESA?
- What is ESA?
- How will ESA change how applications are designed and built?
- What supporting infrastructure does ESA require?
- Is ESA compatible with event-driven architecture?
- What is the promise of ESA?
- How will the transition to ESA occur?
- How can ESA be addressed at a tactical level?
- Why does ESA matter?
- What are the core values of ESA?
- Where can we go for more answers?
- ESA in action: Mitsui
Chapter TWO The Business Case for ESA
- What attributes must ESA embody?
- What principles should be driving my IT decisions?
- What happens when core eventually becomes context?
- How does ESA enable consolidation and reuse?
- What kind of innovation should companies pursue, and how will ESA help them?
- What are ESA's practical implementation issues?
- What's the long-term adoption path of ESA? How quickly will I see ROI, and what form will it take?
- What is ESA's long-range impact on corporations?
- ESA in action: Nordzucker AG
Chapter THREE Evolving Toward ESA
- Just how much and what kind of change will ESA involve?
- What is IT's role within ESA?
- What do you mean by "business process?"
- That's a good point, but how do you bring the two sides together in the first place?
- What is IT's role if all of this comes to pass? What does my company look like then?
- What stages will we go through on the way there? What skills will we have to develop?
- What kind of architecture skills does ESA call for?
- How does a cultural transformation happen in the real world? What can SupplyOn tell us about how to manage the change inherent in ESA?
- How will IT change in an ESA world?
- What will the shift to a model-driven world mean for IT, and where will these business analysts come from?
- How will governance function within ESA?
- How and where should I begin evolving toward ESA?
- How will modeling translate between enterprises with different architectures? Will a standards body evolve to resolve potential conflicts?
- What do the analysts think, and what trouble do they foresee?
- What kind of company will we be after ESA?
CONCEIVING A VISION FOR ESA
Chapter FOUR ESA Fundamentals: Learning to Think ESA
- What is architecture and why is it important?
- What is enterprise architecture and how will ESA change it?
- What motivated the creation of ESA?
- What are the architectural challenges of ESA?
- How does ESA meet those challenges?
- Does ESA make all my existing systems worthless?
- What are systems of record?
- What are transactional systems?
- What are web services?
- What is the difference between a web service and an enterprise service?
- What is service-oriented architecture?
- What is the difference between ESA and other approaches to SOA?
- What are composite applications?
- What are service consumers?
- What are service providers?
- What are xApps?
- What role does the mySAP Business Suite play in ESA?
- What role does SAP NetWeaver play in ESA?
- What are IT practices and IT scenarios?
- What is event-driven architecture?
- Why are analytics so important to ESA?
- How does ESA provide for easier adaptation and a better requirements fit?
- What is the basic structure of an enterprise service?
- What are global data types?
- Why is XML messaging so important to ESA?
- What is the difference between a frontend and a backend application?
- What is service composition?
- What is the role of business objects in ESA?
- How does persistence change in ESA?
- Why does modeling matter? Isn't it just another form of coding?
- Will modeling replace coding?
- How are patterns used in ESA and what value do they provide?
- What is process orchestration?
- What is process integration?
- How will ESA change the way applications are packaged and delivered?
- What are the special needs of composite applications?
- What is the relationship between ESA, standards, and commoditization?
- Is buy versus build a false tradeoff in ESA?
- Why is an ecosystem of companies and standards so important to ESA?
Chapter FIVE The Structure of ESA
- Basics of ESA applications
- The ESA stack, layer by layer
- The enterprise services layer
- The business objects layer
- The process orchestration layer
- The UI layer
- The persistence layer
Chapter SIX The Enterprise Services Community
- What is the ES-Community?
- What is the value of the ES-Community?
- What is a Definition Group? Who can join?
- What does the ES-Community contribute?
- Will the ES-Community create new standards?
- How are enterprise service definitions created within the ES-Community?
- What is the organizational structure of a Definition Group?
- What is certification? Is it mandatory?
- What is ES-Ready? How can partners use this brand?
- How does the ES-Community balance efficiency with open participation?
- What is required to participate in the ES-Community?
- How is intellectual property (IP) treated in the ES-Community?
- How will the ES-Community differ from SAP's other partner and customer efforts?
- How does participation in the ES-Community benefit customers?
- What should a company do to get involved in the community process?
Chapter SEVEN Creating a Roadmap with the ESA Adoption Program
- Why the roadmap approach?
- What challenges do companies face in adopting ESA?
- How does SAP help customers adopt ESA?
- Is there more to success with ESA than just analyzing technologies and preparing roadmaps?
- How have companies put SAP's ESA Adoption Program to work?
Chapter EIGHT The Enterprise Services Repository and the Enterprise Services Inventory
- What is the Enterprise Services Repository?
- What is the Enterprise Services Inventory?
- ESA in action: Elsag
- ESA in action: Kimberly-Clark
- ESA in action: CSA International
Chapter NINE Project Mendocino: A Product Based on Consuming Enterprise Services
- What is the goal of Project Mendocino?
- How does Project Mendocino use ESA?
- Project Mendocino applications
- The Project Mendocino architecture
- ESA in action: Agile Solutions Ltda
Chapter TEN ESA at Work: Examples from the Field
- ESA in consumer products
- Store-specific pricing
- ESA inCustomer Relationship Management (CRM)ESA in CRM:ESACRM service request processing
- ESA in the chemical industry: e-VMI at Solvay
- ESA for logistic service providers
- ESA for professional service providers
- ESA in manufacturing
- ESA in the chemicals industry
Chapter ELEVEN SAP xApps Composite Applications for Analytics
- How do SAP xApp Analytics help business users?
- How hard is it to deploy SAP xApp Analytics?
- What are the different parts of an analytic composite application?
- In which application and process areas are analytic composites being created?
- How do ESA and SAP NetWeaver help create analytic composites?
- What are the benefits of SAP analytics?
Chapter TWELVE The Architecture and Development Tools of Composite Applications
- The architecture of composite applications
- Development tools for composite applications
- ESA in action: Asian Paints
- ESA in action: Zuger Kantonalbank
Chapter THIRTEEN Supporting Composite Applications
- How are composite applications different from the previous generation of applications?
- SAP NetWeaver MDM
- SAP NetWeaver Business intelligence
- SAP NetWeaver Knowledge Management and Collaboration
- SAP NetWeaver Mobile
- ESA in action: Arla Foods
Chapter FOURTEEN Web Services Basics
- What are web services and why do we care?
- What are some examples of web services?
- What are services?
- What is service-oriented architecture?
- Why is service orientation better than object orientation?
- What are the main components of web services?
- What is XML?
- What is XML schema?
- What are XML namespaces?
- What is SOAP?
- What is WSDL?
- What is UDDI and how does it relate to SAP?
- How can we ensure that web services will interoperate?
- What about web services security?
Chapter FIFTEEN Creating Enterprise Services in ABAP
- Can I start creating enterprise services today, or should I wait?
- How do web services and enterprise services compare?
- What are two ways to create services in ABAP?
- What is SAP NetWeaver's role in creating enterprise services?
- What is the role of the SAP NetWeaver Application Server?
- What is SAP NetWeaver XI's role as an integration broker?
- What steps are involved with web services brokering using SAP NetWeaver XI?
- How can services be adapted to reflect changing customer needs?
- What does the future hold for creating enterprise services?
Chapter SIXTEEN Creating and Consuming Services in Java
- What development tools are available for Java developers?
- How do you create a service provider in Java?
- How do you create a service consumer using Web Dynpro for Java?
- ESA in action: Arcelor
- ESA in action: TRW
Chapter SEVENTEEN ESA and IT Governance
- What are typical models for IT governance?
- What are the challenges and problems with existing models?
- How does ESA decrease the need for IT governance?
- How does ESA improve the relationship between business and IT?
- Who owns enterprise services? Who makes a decision about creating new services?
- What processes make sense for approving new enterprise services?
- ESA in action: Whirlpool Corporation
Chapter EIGHTEEN ESA Life Cycle Management and Operations
- Which operations and management problems will ESA actually solve?
- What is life cycle management?
- What is life cycle management in the context of ESA?
- What are the challenges for life cycle management in the context of ESA?
- How will services be monitored in an ESA landscape? Where will the necessary metadata come from?
- How does ESA affect implementation issues?
- How are operations affected by ESA?
- How will ESA affect change management and software logistics?
- What is adaptive computing and how does it relate to ESA?
- What does the introduction of ESA and its impact on life cycle management mean for IT departments?
- Will life cycle management capabilities be available to ISVs?
- What additional capabilities does ESA offer in terms of allowing business analysts to determine which revenue-generating services should receive additional resources?
Chapter NINETEEN ESA Security
- What security challenges face enterprise architects?
- What are identity management and authentication?
- How does identity management change within ESA?
- What is access management?
- How does access management change within ESA?
- How are messages that are sent from enterprise services secured? What standards have been developed?
- How do you develop secure composite applications without weaknesses?
- How will security between companies function and evolve in an ESA environment?
Chapter TWENTY Standards and ESA
- How do standards relate to ESA?
- What are semantic standards, and how do they help build IT solutions?
- Which technology standards does SAP support, and how do they help build IT solutions?
- Which technology standards does SAP NetWeaver support?