Automate everyday administrative tasks—and take greater control of your Windows networks—with this hands-on guide to scripting. Your instructor, a Microsoft Certified Trainer with more than a decade of enterprise consulting experience, expertly builds your scripting expertise with labs and lessons you complete at your own pace. From writing your first scripts from scratch with Microsoft Visual Basic Scripting Edition (VBScript) and Windows Script Host (WSH)—to exploring the programmatic advantages of using Windows Management Instrumentation (WMI) and Active Directory Service Interface (ADSI)—you’ll learn timesaving ways to set up, deploy, and manage your Windows-based systems.
Teach yourself how to write and run scripts to:
- Automate folder and file management—including performing multiple functions-within a single script
- Configure network components using WMI
- Perform global—or select—changes to users and groups in Active Directory directory service using ADSI
- Design logon scripts that increase system manageability and configurability
- Monitor and manage printers
- Edit the registry—avoiding common pitfalls
- Track and respond to critical events
- Simplify user management for Microsoft Exchange Server
- Streamline IIS website administration—including creating consistent security configurations
PLUS—Get 100+ script samples on CD you can use or customize to help simplify the management of your system resources
Get 100+ sample scripts plus an eBook inside.
- More than 100 sample scripts to adapt for your own work
- Timesaving scripting tools—including Script-o-Matic 1.0 and an evaluation version of PrimalScript
- Fully searchable electronic version of the book
A Note Regarding the CD or DVD
The print version of this book ships with a CD or DVD. For those customers purchasing one of the digital formats in which this book is available, we are pleased to offer the CD/DVD content as a free download via O'Reilly Media's Digital Distribution services. To download this content, please visit O'Reilly's web site, search for the title of this book to find its catalog page, and click on the link below the cover image (Examples, Companion Content, or Practice Files). Note that while we provide as much of the media content as we are able via free download, we are sometimes limited by licensing restrictions. Please direct any questions or concerns to email@example.com.