If youre a Java™ programmer working with XML, youprobably already use some of the tools developed by the ApacheSoftware Foundation. This book is a code-intensive guide to theApache XML tools that are most relevant for Java developers,including Xerces, Xalan, FOP, Cocoon, Axis, and Xindice.
Theodore Leung, a founding member of the Apache XML Project,focuses on the unique capabilities of these best-of-breed XMLtools. With the help of a sample application, he demonstrates howyou can use them in unison to develop professional XML/Javaapplications for the real world.
If you need in-depth information to help you assemble a workabletoolbox for developing sophisticated XML-based applications,youll find it in this volume.
What you will learn from this book
- How the Apache XML Project relates to Java programming
- When youll need some of Xerces extra parsingfeatures, like grammar caching
- How to use Xalans XSLTC to compile XSLT stylesheets intoJava
- Prerequisites and applications for FOP and Batik
- Cocoon concepts and development
- Development techniques and practical usage for Xindice
- How to develop back-end applications with XML RPC and Axis
- Applications and concepts for XML Security
Who this book is for
This book is written for professional Java developers who havehad some exposure to XML and XSLT. To get the most from it, youshould be familiar with Java, Java Web development technologies(e.g., servlets), and the command line Java tools.
Wrox Professional guides are planned and written by workingprogrammers to meet the real-world needs of programmers,developers, and IT professionals. Focused and relevant, theyaddress the issues technology professionals face every day. Theyprovide examples, practical solutions, and expert education in newtechnologies, all designed to help programmers do a better job.