"In all the years I have been programming and teaching people aboutcomputers, I have never come across a language that offers thepower and flexibility of Java and all for free! Java is anextraordinarily easy language to learn and use, and is ideal forthe beginner.
With the latest edition of Java, some things are a lot easier,but the new and improved classes mean you can do so much more!Whether its creating graphic rich and interactive web pagesor creating full-featured Windows applications, you can do it withJava. With my book you can learn Java plus the techniques you needfor success with your own projects.
Nothing worthwhile is achieved without effort. Youll needto put in the work and have the ambition to succeed when the goinggets tough. If you have commitment, I can help you become acompetent Java programmer."
Who is this book for
This book is for anyone who wants to learn to create real-worldapplications with Java. The Beginning Java series has provenpopular with over 150,000 people with its tutorial format. Thenumerous step-by-step examples provide you with an understanding ofthe ins and outs of programming with Java.
We assume no previous programming experience, although progresswill be easier if you have programmed before. Either way,youll soon become an expert in creating your own Javaprograms.
What this book will teach you
This book will teach you all you need to know to startprogramming in Java. This latest edition of my series teaches Javawith the Java 2 SDK 1.4; a free Software Development Kit forcreating Java applications.
- The code is designed and tested for use with the latest SDK J2SDK 1.4.
- Teaches the Java language from scratch.
- Handling Errors and Exceptions in applications.
- Manipulating data and files.
- Concurrent programming and Threads.
- Comprehensive introduction to Swing, the Graphical UserInterface API for Java. We will learn both about standaloneapplications and applets: embedded Java programs for webpages.
- Large GUI example: We will create a program called Sketcher: asimple drawing tool for making sketches. We will learn how to savesketches to and load sketches from files, use color in ourapplications, and respond to user input.
- Printing in Java.
- Now included: an introduction to XML an excitingtechnology for representing data. We will modify the sketcherapplication to use XML.