"In all the years I have been programming and teaching people about computers, I have never come across a language that offers the power and flexibility of Java and all for free! Java is an extraordinarily easy language to learn and use, and is ideal for the beginner.
With the latest edition of Java, some things are a lot easier, but the new and improved classes mean you can do so much more! Whether it's creating graphic rich and interactive web pages or creating full-featured Windows applications, you can do it with Java. With my book you can learn Java plus the techniques you need for success with your own projects.
Nothing worthwhile is achieved without effort. You'll need to put in the work and have the ambition to succeed when the going gets tough. If you have commitment, I can help you become a competent Java programmer."
Who is this book for
This book is for anyone who wants to learn to create real-world applications with Java. The Beginning Java series has proven popular with over 150,000 people with its tutorial format. The numerous step-by-step examples provide you with an understanding of the ins and outs of programming with Java.
We assume no previous programming experience, although progress will be easier if you have programmed before. Either way, you'll soon become an expert in creating your own Java programs.
What this book will teach you
This book will teach you all you need to know to start programming in Java. This latest edition of my series teaches Java with the Java 2 SDK 1.4; a free Software Development Kit for creating Java applications.
- The code is designed and tested for use with the latest SDK – J2SDK 1.4.
- Teaches the Java language from scratch.
- Handling Errors and Exceptions in applications.
- Manipulating data and files.
- Concurrent programming and Threads.
- Comprehensive introduction to Swing, the Graphical User Interface API for Java. We will learn both about standalone applications and applets: embedded Java programs for web pages.
- Large GUI example: We will create a program called Sketcher: a simple drawing tool for making sketches. We will learn how to save sketches to and load sketches from files, use color in our applications, and respond to user input.
- Printing in Java.
- Now included: an introduction to XML – an exciting technology for representing data. We will modify the sketcher application to use XML.