What you need to know
This book is for people who:
- Have some experience of programming ASP.NET with Visual Basic® .NET
- Are familiar with the operation of the .NET Framework
- Want to learn how to use ASP.NET to make data-centric web applications
What you will learn from this book
For a web site to offer its users an experience that improves on that of newspapers or textbooks, it needs a way to change the information it contains dynamically – and that means it needs access to a data source. Through the combination of ASP.NET and ADO.NET, Microsoft provides everything you need to access, read from, and write to a database so that your web users can view and manipulate that data from a web browser. In this book, we'll show you how it's done.
Packed with clear explanations and hands-on examples, Beginning ASP.NET Databases Using VB.NET contains everything you'll need on your journey to becoming a confident, successful programmer of data-driven web sites. In particular, we'll look at:
- Connecting to common data sources, including SQL Server® and MS Access
- Reading data with data reader and dataset objects
- Creating and deleting records, and editing data
- Displaying data with ASP.NET's web server controls
- Writing and using stored procedures from VB.NET code
- Placing your data access code in reusable class libraries
The book closes with a real-world case study that consolidates the tutorials throughout the book into a practical result.
"This book is based on my experience teaching hundreds of developers over the last 12 years. In it, you'll find everything you need to begin using databases from your ASP.NET applications."