Microsoft® Visual Basic® is the most popular programming language in the world, with millions of lines of code used in businesses and applications of all types and sizes. With Visual Basic .NET, Microsoft introduces some fundamental new features, particularly the ability to program against the .NET Framework.
Keeping a constant view on real-life programming practices, Beginning VB.NET will guide you from your first Visual Basic .NET program right through to producing powerful, database driven applications for Windows and the Web.
This book is suitable whether you are new to programming, have some experience with other versions of Visual Basic, or are migrating to Windows programming from another platform. It will give you the thorough grounding you need to write real-world, commercial applications.
What you will learn from this book
This book will show you:
- How to get up and running with the Visual Basic .NET or Visual Studio® .NET IDE
- How to write Visual Basic .NET code
- What the .NET Framework is and why it is important
- How to use loops and branching structures so that your programs can make decisions
- How to use menus, toolbars, dialog boxes, and other controls in your Windows programs
- What object-oriented programming is, and what it means to you
- How to create re-usable class libraries and user controls
What you need
This book is for developers who have access to Visual Studio .NET Professional or above, or Visual Basic .NET Standard.
Wrox Beginning guides are crafted to make learning programming languages and technologies easier than you think. Whether you're taking your first steps in programming, or broadening your skills and knowledge, Wrox Beginning books provide a structured, tutorial format that will guide you through all the techniques involved.
First, each concept is explained to give you a solid understanding of the material. Then, your new understanding is applied to practical examples – taking you to the point where you can develop professional applications that you can be proud of.