"Tomorrow’s hackers may ransack the cryptographer’stoolkit for their own nefarious needs. From this chillingperspective, the authors make a solid scientific contribution, andtell a good story too."
–Matthew Franklin, PhD Program Chair, Crypto 2004
WHAT IF HACKERS CONTROL THE WEAPONS USED TO FIGHT THEM?
Hackers have unleashed the dark side of cryptography–thatdevice developed to defeat Trojan horses, viruses, password theft,and other cybercrime. It’s called cryptovirology, the art ofturning the very methods designed to protect your data into a meansof subverting it. In this fascinating, disturbing volume, theexperts who first identified cryptovirology show you exactly whatyou’re up against and how to fight back.
They will take you inside the brilliant and devious mind of ahacker–as much an addict as the vacant-eyed denizen of thecrackhouse–so you can feel the rush and recognize youropponent’s power. Then, they will arm you for thecounterattack.
Cryptovirology seems like a futuristic fantasy, but be assured,the threat is ominous ly real. If you want to protect your data,your identity, and yourself, vigilance is essential–now.
- Understand the mechanics of computationally secure informationstealing
- Learn how non-zero sum Game Theory is used to developsurvivable malware
- Discover how hackers use public key cryptography to mountextortion attacks
- Recognize and combat the danger of kleptographic attacks onsmart-card devices
- Build a strong arsenal against a cryptovirology attack
“The authors of this book explain these issues and how to fight against them.” (Computer Law & Security Report
, 1st September 2004)