PHP, Apache, and MySQL are the three key open source technologies that form the basis for most active Web servers. This book takes you step by step through understanding each – using it and combining it with the other two on both Linux and Windows servers.
This book will guide you through creating your own sites using the open source AMP model. You'll learn to install PHP, Apache, and MySQL. Then you'll create PHP Web pages, including database management and security. Finally, you'll discover how to integrate your work with e-commerce and other technologies. By building different types of Web sites, you will progress from setting up simple database tables to tapping the full potential of PHP, Apache, and MySQL.
When you're finished, you will be able to create well-designed, dynamic Web sites using open source tools.
What you will learn from this book
- How PHP server-side scripting language works for connecting HTML-based Web pages to a backend database
- Syntax, functions, and commands for PHP, Apache, and MySQL
- Methods and techniques for building user-friendly forms
- How to easily store, update, and access information using MySQL
- Ways to allow the user to edit a database
- E-commerce applications using these three technologies
- How to set up user logins, profiles, and personalizations
- Proper protocols for error handling
Who this book is for
This book is for beginners who are new to PHP and who need to learn quickly how to create Web sites using open source tools. Some basic HTML knowledge is helpful but not essential.
Wrox Beginning guides are crafted to make learning programming languages and technologies easier than you think, providing a structured, tutorial format that will guide you through all the techniques involved.