PHP5 is the newest version of the preferred language for rapidly creating dynamic Web page content. While its main use is as a cross-platform, HTML-embedded, server-side Web scripting language, it now works equally well when creating multi-tiered applications or XML-based applications as well as Web applications. This book teaches you the features and functionality of PHP5, from installing and configuring it to designing and constructing complex data-driven Web sites.
As you proceed, you will build a number of fully functional applications. You’ll be introduced to basic programming logic, relational databases, OOP, PEAR, GTK, MSI, CLI, SQLite, and more. When you’re finished, you will understand how to create, test, debug, and put your applications to work in the real world.
What you will learn from this book
- The fundamentals of object-oriented programming in PHP5
- How to write PHP5 applications that run on Windows®, Linux®, Mac OS® X, and other operating systems
- Why PHP5 works effectively in small to enterprise-level applications
- Error handling with try/catch
- Data manipulation in MySQL® using PHP
- How to build practical applications such as an online text editor, a Web-based e-mail application, and an object-oriented contact manager application
- Command-line scripting and GUI application development
- Effective methods of maintaining and organizing your code, and more
Who this book is for
This book is for beginning programmers as well as experienced developers who want to learn what is possible with the latest version of PHP.