The Apache Tomcat server and related technologies give Java™developers a rich set of tools to quickly build more sophisticatedWeb applications. Tomcat version 5 supports the latest JSP™and Servlet specifications, JSP 2.0, and Servlets 2.4. Thiscompletely updated volume offers you a thorough education in Tomcat5 as well as 4.1.
You will learn to solve the problems that arise withinstallation and configuration, security, system testing, and more.This edition also introduces you to Tomcat clustering for planningand deploying installations in mission-critical productionenvironments, and explores the new support for Tomcat in popularIDEs such as IntelliJ IDEA, Eclipse, NetBeans™/Sun JavaStudio, and JBuilder.
You’ll discover how to manage class loaders andConnectors, understand how to use IIS as a Web server front-end forTomcat, examine JDBC-related issues in Tomcat, and be ready to putthis technology to work.
What you will learn from this book
- Techniques and troubleshooting tips for installing JVM™and Tomcat on Windows® and UNIX®/Linux® systems
- Detailed Tomcat configuration, such as Access logadministration, Single Sign-on across Web applications, requestfiltering, the Persistent Session Manager, and JavaMail™session setup
- How to resolve JDBC connectivity issues, including connectionpooling, JNDI emulation, configuring a data source, and alternativeJDBC™ configurations
- How to use Web servers like Apache and IIS with Tomcat to servestatic content
- A wide range of security issues, from securing Tomcatinstallations to configuring security policies for Web applicationsthat run on them
- How to configure Tomcat for virtual hosting environments
- Procedures for load-testing Web applications deployed in Tomcatusing the open source JMeter framework
- How to set up Tomcat clustering to provide scalability and highavailability to Web applications
- How to embed Tomcat within custom applications
Who is this book for?
This book is for J2EE™ system administrators and Javadevelopers with responsibilities for Tomcat configuration,performance tuning, system security, or deploymentarchitecture.
Wrox Professional guides are planned and written byworking programmers to meet the real-world needs of programmers,developers, and IT professionals. Focused and relevant, theyaddress the issues technology professionals face every day. Theyprovide examples, practical solutions, and expert education in newtechnologies, all designed to help programmers do a better job.