SQL functions are special commands for manipulating data. Theinternational SQL standard defines many functions implemented byall major RDBMS vendors. This comprehensive SQL functions referenceenables you to quickly master SQL function data manipulation in anydatabase.
First, the book presents the basics you need to use standard SQLfunctions with any database. Then the expert authors take you intothe core reference material for built-in and user-defined SQLfunctions in each major RDBMS product. Packed with examples, you'llimmediately learn to apply standard functions and extend your powerwith functions you define.
You'll learn all of this from a core author team from PerpetualTechnologies, Inc. These experts have extensive experience withOracle®, SQL Server, Sybase, DB2®,and MySQL®, database design and management for someof the world's largest corporations and government agencies.
What you will learn from this book
- How to cross-reference different SQL implementations andintegrate data from different vendor products
- Ways to create custom functions using vendors' proceduralextensions
- Numerous SQL implementations, such as ANSI SQL,Oracle®, Microsoft® SQLServer®, Sybase, MySQL®,IBM®DB2®, and PostgreSQL
- How the internationally standardized SQL 99 functions areimplemented in various vendor-specific products
- User-defined functions built with proprietary proceduralextensions
- Expert guidance on moving from one RDBMS to another
Who this book is for
This book is for the SQL programmer or software developer of anylevel who needs to effectively retrieve data from a relationaldatabase or integrate applications with RDBMS implementations.
Wrox Programmer's References are designed to give theexperienced developer straight facts on a new technology, withouthype or unnecessary explanations. They deliver hard informationwith plenty of practical examples to help you apply new tools toyour development projects today.