SQL functions are special commands for manipulating data. The international SQL standard defines many functions implemented by all major RDBMS vendors. This comprehensive SQL functions reference enables you to quickly master SQL function data manipulation in any database.
First, the book presents the basics you need to use standard SQL functions with any database. Then the expert authors take you into the core reference material for built-in and user-defined SQL functions in each major RDBMS product. Packed with examples, you'll immediately learn to apply standard functions and extend your power with functions you define.
You'll learn all of this from a core author team from Perpetual Technologies, Inc. These experts have extensive experience with Oracle®, SQL Server, Sybase, DB2®, and MySQL®, database design and management for some of the world's largest corporations and government agencies.
What you will learn from this book
- How to cross-reference different SQL implementations and integrate data from different vendor products
- Ways to create custom functions using vendors' procedural extensions
- Numerous SQL implementations, such as ANSI SQL, Oracle®, Microsoft® SQL Server®, Sybase, MySQL®, IBM®DB2®, and PostgreSQL
- How the internationally standardized SQL 99 functions are implemented in various vendor-specific products
- User-defined functions built with proprietary procedural extensions
- Expert guidance on moving from one RDBMS to another
Who this book is for
This book is for the SQL programmer or software developer of any level who needs to effectively retrieve data from a relational database or integrate applications with RDBMS implementations.
Wrox Programmer's References are designed to give the experienced developer straight facts on a new technology, without hype or unnecessary explanations. They deliver hard information with plenty of practical examples to help you apply new tools to your development projects today.