From its origins as a sublanguage of XSLT, XPath has come into itsown as a key element of XML. XPath 2.0 has emerged as a robustlanguage twice the size of its predecessor, complex and capable ofstanding on its own.
This substantive volume, by the editor of the W3C® XSLT 2.0specification, is the authoritative reference on XPath 2.0. Itbegins by thoroughly explaining the foundations, including XMLschema and the evaluation context. Building on this knowledge, itthen moves through literals and function calls, basic operators,path expressions, types, and the regular expressions of three newfunctions that greatly boost the power of XPath 2.0.
What you will learn from this book
- Top-level constructs and the lexical rules for using whitespaceand comments
- Basic operators for writing arithmetic and Booleanexpressions
- Three operators for combining the results of path expressions:union, intersect, and except
- How XPath 2.0 supports sequences
- Where to access a complete listing of all functions in the corefunction library
- How to define the syntax of XPath regular expressions as usedin the new functions matches(), replace(), and tokenize(), and muchmore
Who this book is for
This book is for experienced programmers who use XPath 2.0 andwant a comprehensive understanding of it at every level. A basicknowledge of XML and Web architecture is essential.
Wrox Programmers References are designed to give theexperienced developer straight facts on a new technology, withouthype or unnecessary explanations. They deliver hard informationwith plenty of practical examples to help you apply new tools toyour development projects today.