Red Hat Enterprise Linux 3 is a fully supported, robust, and easily managed system for enterprise use. This book offers a complete professional guide to setting, configuring, and deploying RHEL 3 AS (Advanced Server), ES (Enterprise Server), and WS (Workstation) editions in the corporate production department.
You will begin with a complete overview and setup instructions for RHEL 3, then examine the Red Hat Network, improvements in the filesystem, and storage management, including ACL (Access Control List), RAID, and LVM. You will move on through High Availability products, an overview of Web, Email and Directory services, printing with CUPS (Common Unix Printing System) software, and file sharing with SAMBA and NFS. Finally, you'll study security issues, scripting, and online resources for RHEL 3.
What you will learn from this book
- How to implement and deploy Red Hat Enterprise Linux 3 for desktop, production servers, and mission-critical applications
- Details of Red Hat Enterprise products, including Red Hat Cluster Suite, Red Hat Content Management System, and Red Hat Portal Server.
- Kernel tuning for various performance profiles
- Basic and advanced security policies and methods of implementation
- How to use the Red Hat Network to keep your system updated
- Efficient ways to add, remove, or modify dozens or hundreds of users simultaneously
Who this book is for
This book is for system administrators who need to deploy and administer Red Hat Enterprise Linux 3 systems efficiently and securely. You should have a basic understanding of Linux/Unix operating systems and preferably, some hands-on experience with Red Hat Linux.
Wrox Professional guides are planned and written by working programmers to meet the real-world needs of programmers, developers, and IT professionals. Focused and relevant, they address the issues technology professionals face every day. They provide examples, practical solutions, and expert education in new technologies, all designed to help programmers do a better job.