AppleScript is being embraced as a key technology component in Mac OS® X. This powerful scripting language is designed primarily to help coordinate the operation of other programs, and is an ideal solution to general programming problems. In this comprehensive tutorial, expert author Stephen Kochan presents you with all the information you need to understand and efficiently write programs in AppleScript.
As you progress through the book, sample programs accompany the introduction of each new concept, enabling you to write scripts, run them, and then examine the results. In addition, exercises at the end of each chapter test your knowledge. This hands-on guide will show you just how AppleScript's unique way of doing things differs significantly from any other programming language you've used.
What you will learn from this book
- How to start up the Script Editor application, type a program, and run it
- Various ways to work with strings, lists, records, and files
- How AppleScript enables you to communicate easily with other applications
- How to write scripts for iLife® applications such as iTunes®, iPhoto , and iDVD
- Ways to plan for errors, and how to handle them when they do occur
- How to use AppleScript Studio, which is the bridge between AppleScript and GUI applications
Who this book is for
This book is for novice programmers who want to learn how to use AppleScript for general programming applications and to automate time-consuming tasks or experienced programmers who are interested in saving time and money by using this powerful scripting tool.