Regular expressions help users and developers to find and manipulate text more effectively and efficiently. In addition, regular expressions are supported by many scripting languages, programming languages, and databases. This example-rich tutorial helps debunk the traditional reputation of regular expressions as being cryptic. It explains the various parts of a regular expression pattern, what those parts mean, how to use them, and common pitfalls to avoid when writing regular expressions.
With chapters on using regular expressions with popular Windows platform software including databases, cross platform scripting languages, and programming languages, you'll learn to make effective use of the power provided by regular expressions once you fully comprehend their strengths and potential.
What you will learn from this book
- Fundamental concepts of regular expressions and how to write them
- How to break down a text manipulation problem into component parts so you can then logically construct a regular expression pattern
- How to use regular expressions in several scripting and programming languages and software packages
- The variations that exist among regular expression dialects
- Reusable, real-world working code that can be used to solve everyday regular expression problems
Who this book is for
This book is for developers who need to manipulate text but are new to regular expressions. Some basic programming or scripting experience is useful but not required.