Hibernate is an object/relational mapping (ORM) tool that alsoprovides data querying and retrieval functions in a Javaenvironment. Whether you are using simple objects or collections,Hibernate reduces your development time by handling most of thecommon data persistence tasks. This code-intensive text will takeyou through Hibernates major components and show you exactlyhow to use it to enhance your current development practices andtoolsets.
You will learn how to install Hibernate, build the developmentenvironment, and configure Hibernate for a variety of databases,including DB2®, HypersonicSQL, MySQL®, Oracle®, andPostgreSQL. Then youll learn the details of connecting todatabases using Hibernate, creating persistent classes and objects,working with SQL and HQL (the Hibernate Query Language), andmanaging transactions. Finally, you will take that basic knowledgeinto your real-world applications, learning to use Hibernate withother tools such as Eclipse, Tomcat, Maven, Struts, andXdoclet.
What you will learn from this book
- How Hibernate maps objects to a relational database
- How to build a development environment for using Hibernate in astandalone context or in coordination with Tomcat
- Methods of creating persistent objects
- Query techniques using both traditional SQL and Hibernate QueryLanguage
- The DAO design pattern and how to use DAO with Hibernate
- The application of Hibernate within a Maven project managementsystem
- How to incorporate Aspect J and Hibernate for completecontrol
- How to use advanced caching techniques to improveHibernates performance
- How to use XDoclet with Hibernate to reduce your developmenttime
- The procedure for using Velocity and Struts with Hibernate
Who this book is for
This book is for professional Java developers who already knowhow to build sophisticated applications and have at least a generalfamiliarity with databases, Java application development, and Webdevelopment. No prior experience with Hibernate is required.
Wrox Professional guides are planned and written by workingprogrammers to meet the real-world needs of programmers,developers, and IT professionals. Focused and relevant, theyaddress the issues technology professionals face every day. Theyprovide examples, practical solutions, and expert education in newtechnologies, all designed to help programmers do a better job.