As the most popular open source database system in the world, MySQL boasts ease of implementation, minimal overhead, consistent reliability, and low total cost of ownership. This hands-on resource offers you a complete look at MySQL and explains how to implement MySQL and access MySQL with various programming languages.
Using a task-oriented approach along with numerous helpful examples, this book takes you through the steps necessary to install MySQL 4.1 on Linux and Windows platforms, create and manage MySQL databases, query and manipulate data, and administer the MySQL database management system. By the end of the book you'll have a solid foundation for understanding MySQL as a robust, flexible, and easy-to-implement application that has many diverse uses.
What you will learn from this book
- Where to find MySQL components on your system and what tools are available to access and manipulate data
- How to set up logging, manage security, optimize performance, and back up and restore your system
- Ways to insert, update, copy, import, export, and delete data
- How to access a MySQL database from within a specific programming language
- Effective methods for establishing a connection to a database and issuing SQL statements
Who this book is for
This book is for programmers who are new to MySQL but who have some experience in PHP, Java, or ASP/ASP.NET developing applications that access backend databases.
Wrox Beginning guides are crafted to make learning programming languages and technologies easier than you think, providing a structured, tutorial format that will guide you through all the techniques involved.