Professional Development with Web APIs
Web APIs are sets of application programming interfaces that allow programmers to write applications that use services offered by third parties. At long last, you can now integrate the power of Web APIs from leading technology companies such as Google, eBay, PayPal, Amazon, MapPoint, UPS, and FedEx in your own applications.
Covering the most popular Web APIs in a single resource for the first time, this book details the nuts-and-bolts of each and then offers numerous examples of how to use them in real-world situations. By the end of the book you'll have built two fully functional applications — one a Windows program, the other a Web application.
What you will learn from this book
- The anatomy of the featured APIs
- Calling Web APIs using HTTP-POST, HTTP-GET, and SOAP over HTTP
- Ways to use popular Web APIs from Microsoft Office and mobile devices
- How to use multiple APIs together
- Creative ways to use APIs
- Examples of how third parties have used the featured Web APIs
- How Web APIs can be used for professional application development
- How to create your own Web API
Who this book is for
This book is for programmers who want to use Web APIs to build their own applications. No prior experience with Web APIs is required.
Wrox Professional guides are planned and written by working programmers to meet the real-world needs of programmers, developers, and IT professionals. Focused and relevant, they address the issues technology professionals face every day. They provide examples, practical solutions, and expert education in new technologies, all designed to help programmers do a better job.