Learn the Perl skills employers are looking for
As one of the most influential programming languages in theworld, Perl is used extensively in web development, dataprocessing, and system administration. Whether you're new to Perlor looking to strengthen your real-world skills, this resourcecovers what you need to handle scenarios. Drawing on hisdecade-plus of Perl experience, Curtis "Ovid" Poe begins with abrief review of the basics of Perl, then moves on to demonstratehow you actually use Perl in the workplace. Additionally, hands-onexercises, invaluable advice, and real-world examples allcontribute to making this book essential reading.
- Explains how to work with data using Perl's built-infunctions
- Shows how to handle Unicode in Perl
- Details the basics of control flow and handling references,files, and directories
- Devotes a full chapter to Object-Oriented Perl as well as achapter on Moose
- Provides a comprehensive introduction to automated testing
- Touches on Catalyst, DBIx::Class usage, and other popularmodules
- Technical edit by chromatic, a well-known developer, prolificwriter, and author of several Perl titles
"This is not your everyday Beginning Perl book. Not onlydoes Ovid provide splendid coverage of Perl's basics and bestpractices, he also covers modern Perl techniques and modules, wherePerl's real power lies. [It] is like being given Batman's utilitybelt: you have everything you need to do truly amazing things. IfPerl were a shark, this book would teach you how to outfit it withlasers."
—Paul Fenwick, Perl Training Australia
Join our Programmer to Programmer forums to ask and answerprogramming questions about this book, join discussions on thehottest topics in the industry, and connect with fellow programmersfrom around the world.
Take advantage of free code samples from this book, as well ascode samples from hundreds of other books, all ready to use.
Find articles, ebooks, sample chapters and tables of contentsfor hundreds of books, and more reference resources on programmingtopics that matter to you.
Wrox Beginning guides are crafted to make learningprogramming languages and technologies easier than you think,providing a structured, tutorial format that will guide you throughall the techniques involved.