Peeling Apple's Operating Systems
System-level developers, kernel hackers, and intriguedApple-lytes, take heed: This book lets you explore the nooks andcrannies of Mac OS X and iOS, delving into the architecture of bothsystems, and picking up where the frameworks (and documentation)leave off. It offers clear, detailed explanation of the innerworkings of Apple's systems, including proprietary APIs, most ofwhich are documented for the first time.
As you traverse the architecture, moving from user to kernelmode, each layer and component is unraveled with annotated codesamples and hands-on experiments, comparing and contrasting itsimplementation in both OSes. Topics include:
- The boot process: Mac's EFI, iOS's iBoot, and kernelstartup
- Processes, threads, and virtual memory management
- Debugging and profiling, using DTrace, ptrace, and hiddensystem calls
- The system level APIs: POSIX calls, Mach traps, and OS X/iOSproprietary
- File system architecture, including VFS and HFS+
- Network architecture: from sockets to interfaces, and networkdrivers
- Kernel extensions, drivers, and a discussion of I/O Kitarchitecture
- Security features, Mandatory Access Control, and iOS jail
The companion web site (http://www.newosxbook.com) includessample programs, freely downloadable tools, updated references, andbonus additions.
Wrox Professional guides are planned and written byworking programmers to meet the real-world needs of programmers,developers, and IT professionals. Focused and relevant, theyaddress the issues technology professionals face every day. Theyprovide examples, practical solutions, and expert education in newtechnologies, all designed to help programmers do a better job.
Join our Programmer to Programmer forums to ask and answerprogramming questions about this book, join discussions on thehottest topics in the industry, and connect with fellow programmersfrom around the world.
Take advantage of free code samples from this book, as well ascode samples from hundreds of other books, all ready to use.
Find articles, ebooks, sample chapters and tables of contentsfor hundreds of books, and more reference resources on programmingtopics that matter to you.