Your complete, step-by-step guide to getting started with ArcGIS Desktop programming in .NET
ArcGIS Desktop is a powerful suite of software tools for creating and using maps, compiling, analyzing and sharing geospatial information, and managing spatial databases. As with any sophisticated software package, getting the hang of ArcGIS for Desktop applications can be a bit tricky, even for experienced programmers and GIS professionals.
Whether you are an ArcGIS user with no background in programming or a programmer without experience with the ArcGIS platform, this book arms you with everything you need to get going with ArcObjects programming in .NETright away.
Written by a leading expert in geospatial information system design and development, it provides concise, step-by-step guidance, illustrated with best-practice examples, along with plenty of ready-to-use source code. In no time you'll progress from .NET programming basics to understanding ArcObjects to customizing and building your own Desktop Add-Ins all the way through application deployment.
Among other things, you'll learn to:
- Perform interface-based programming in .NET
- Create Desktop Add-Ins such as buttons, toolbars, and dockable windows
- Read ArcObjects object model diagrams
- Access maps and layers
- Query geospatial data and work with three types of cursors
- Render vector and raster layers
- Embed hyperlinks and flexible map tips
- Manage geospatial data through the geodatabases model
- Manipulate shapefiles and geodatabases
- Boost functionality with the geoprocessing framework
- Perform background geoprocessing
- Deploy custom components with custom behavior
- Deploy add-ins
From performing simple spatial queries and bulk loading of a vast amount of vector data to background geoprocessing, Beginning ArcGIS for Desktop Development Using .NET gives you everything you need to adapt this powerful tool to suit your needs.
Join our Programmer to Programmer forums to ask and answer programming questions about this book, join discussions on the hottest topics in the industry, and connect with fellow programmers from around the world.
Take advantage of free code samples from this book, as well as code samples from hundreds of other books, all ready to use.
Find articles, ebooks, sample chapters and tables of contents for hundreds of books, and more reference resources on programming topics that matter to you.