- Create dynamic, custom websites with the self-hosted version of WordPress
- Use free themes and enhance them with CSS and HTML
- Plan your design and choose graphics, colors, and fonts
IN FULL COLOR!
Want to create cost-effective, fabulous websites? Do it with WordPress — here's how!
WordPress is much more than a great blogging platform. You can use it as a content management system or to design a website using one of the many free WordPress themes. Your site can include an e-commerce storefront, photo gallery, discussion forum, social community, and more. Follow the steps in this book; you'll be saying — and hearing — "wow!"
- Lay the groundwork — get your domain, find a host that supports WordPress, and install WordPress on your web server
- Choose your tools — select a text editor, set up FTP, choose the graphics type and software you need, and explore colors
- Pick a theme — learn all about WordPress themes, find and install one, and add widgets and template tags
- Make it yours — use CSS and HTML to customize site design and enhance your site with plugins
- Spruce it up — optimize your website for search engines, add a photo gallery, and integrate Twitter and Facebook into your site
Open the book and find:
- Why you need to keep WordPress up to date
- Quick tips for content management
- What to look for in graphics and design
- Things you need to know about typography
- How parent and child themes work
- Ways to create a unique look for your site
- Ten powerful WordPress plugins