Data Points focuses on the approach to visualization anddata. Visualization is a medium that can be used as a tool, art, away to tell stories, etc., Data Points guides readersthrough making data approachable through visualization techniquesand best practices. The focus is on designing with a purpose inmind. Data Points discusses why recipes (from the rules)work and expands on how readers can make their own recipes. Thebook is example-driven, featuring work from people in areas of art,design, business, statistics, computer science, cartography, andonline media, as well as many of the author's own illustrations.The major sections of the book cover:
- Visualization as Medium -- In the same way not all movies aredocumentaries, not all visualization is about optimal visualperception.
- Data Representation -- There are rules across allvisualization applications, such as the use of appropriate shapesto accurately represent values.
- Design with Purpose -- Rules can be broken though. It alldepends on who and what you're designing for.
Data Points digs deep into the foundations of datavisualization:
- Understanding Data and Visualization
- Representing Data
- Exploring Data Visually
- Designing for an Audience
- Visualizing with Clarity
- Putting Everything Into Practice with Tools and Resources