The LEGO® MINDSTORMS® EV3 programming language is designed to allow anyone to program intelligent robots. With its colorful, block-based interface, EV3 makes a great first programming language, but its powerful set of features can be intimidating at first.
The Art of LEGO MINDSTORMS EV3 Programming is a full color, beginner-friendly guide to the EV3 language. You'll learn how to combine core EV3 elements like blocks, data wires, files, and variables to create sophisticated programs. You'll also learn good programming practices and helpful debugging strategies—general skills that are relevant to programming in any language.
Inside you'll learn how to:
The Art of LEGO MINDSTORMS EV3 Programming
- Write custom programs to teach your robots to react to their environment and respond to commands
- Program a wall-following robot to navigate a maze
- Use data wires to create a sound generator and a sketchpad that use dials and sensors
- Use arrays to program a Simon Says-style game that saves your high score
- Store data on the EV3, manage memory, and transfer files between the EV3 and your computer
- Create a sophisticated line-following program using a PID-type controller like the ones used in real industrial systems
covers both the Home and Education Editions of the EV3 kit, making it perfect for kids, parents, and teachers alike. All of the book's programs work with one general-purpose test robot that you'll build early on.
Whether your robotics lab is the living room or the classroom, this is the complete guide to EV3 programming that you've been missing.